top of page

History & Development of Homeopathy - Part 2

Updated: Oct 19, 2022

PART 2



History of Homeopathy | Development of Homeopathy | Like Treats Like | Homeopathic Medicines | Homeopathic Remedies

Homoeopathy means “like cures like.”


This is the method of treating a disease with the materials derived from the toxic and injurious agents causing similar signs and symptoms complex.


 

Before Dr. Hahnemann, this system was evidently outside the established system of allopathic treatment, although some of the treatments offered there worked on the same line as homoeopathy. These, however, were not understood.


A few such practices were in vogue on an experimental basis and in a limited controlled way. For example, Ipecac and Opium were given in a diluted tinctured form to relieve nausea and vomiting. In fact, both these medicines are known as strong vomiting and nausea inducers.


Dr. Hahnemann had experimented on many such drugs and was surprised to note that not only did they cause a certain illness, yet at the same time they cured that particular illness when administered in diluted form.


History of Homeopathy | Development of Homeopathy | Like Treats Like | Homeopathic Medicines | Homeopathic Remedies

During this deep and thoughtful experimentation, Dr. Hahnemann discovered the fantastic defence system of the human body.



The physicians believed that the human body had the power of defending itself but were unaware of its magnanimity and the principle of its working. They did not how to utilise the defensive nature of the body against the establishment of the disease.


This secret was revealed to Dr. Hahnemann after his constant, thoughtful deep study of the human body’s defence system. His observations about the great defensive capability of the human body were astounding and unbelievable, but must be believed because the observations he offered were so clear. In support of this, Dr. Hahnemann further noted that the body reacts naturally to every external attack.



During continuous experimentation and observation, he postulated that if in the past, some disease has been overlooked and not reacted to by the body, then the introduction of a similar symptoms-producing agent in extremely diluted and pacified

form would induce defensive body reaction and eliminate the sickness.


 

History of Homeopathy | Development of Homeopathy | Like Treats Like | Homeopathic Medicines | Homeopathic Remedies

Traditional medical doctors of that time strongly opposed Dr. Hahnemann.


In 1820 AD, the proponents of the old allopathic system of medicine had his system of Homoeopathy declared unlawful by the government, and even they went to the extent of suing him.


However, before Homoeopathy was declared unlawful, Hahnemann sent for Prince Karl Schwarzenberg of Austria, and treated him successfully in Leipzig. The Prince being naturally grateful to Dr. Hahnemann recommended to King Friedrich that all restrictions against Homoeopathy should be removed and in future none should be re-imposed.


Unfortunately for Dr. Hahnemann, the Prince re-indulged himself in a life of ease and resorted to alcoholism. He became seriously sick again and he was treated allopathically but to no avail.


When he died, the Austrian government blamed the Prince’s death on Dr. Hahnemann. The public was outraged, his books were burnt in the open and Dr. Hahnemann had to run for his life. He took shelter in Cothen, was patronised by the Duke of Cothen and he stayed there for 14 years researching chronic illnesses. He published the first edition of his research in 1828.


In 1830, his wife passed away. He married a French lady in 1835 and moved to Paris where he practised Homoeopathy till his death in 1843.

 

Approximately 60% of Homeopathic medicine is derived from natural plant sources, the remainder 40% being from mineral, animal and biological matter.


Homeopathy has been widely used throughout the world for more than 200 years.

6 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page